James River Valley Chapter
The James River Valley Chapter was approved by the National Society on October 6, 2012.
The James River Valley played a crucial role
in the history of Aberdeen and its surrounding area. It was, historically, a site of great natural beauty. During the peak of the
most recent period of glaciation in South Dakota, the ice in the Aberdeen area was at least 1,000 feet thick.
The rich soils in eastern
South Dakota are derived from till, which consists of ground up, nutrient-rich rock fragments carried here by glaciers. The southward-flowing
James River cuts through the heart of eastern South Dakota, and the fertile valley flanking its banks makes this narrow band of land
the most productive agricultural area in the state.
The James River Valley's beauty and natural resources attracted homesteaders and
settlers. In one 1872 article, reporters from the Dakota Herald said of the area, "From Scotland to Milltown, and in the vicinity
of both places, so far as our observation entitles us to judge, no fairer country has ever been trod by men." ("A Trip up the James
River Valley." Dakota Republican. 7 November 1872, 2).
The valley represents both the peacefulness of our area's prairies
and the buzz of the industry created by the area's pioneers. It was the site of farms and wild grasses, as well as a mail line, early
houses, school houses, and courthouses. It was chosen as the site for a line of the Northern Pacific Railroad. Soon after, railroads
became such a part of Aberdeen's structure, that it became known as "The Hub City." By 1886, nine different rail lines passed through
Aberdeen. Along with them came a whole host of new businesses, including an opera house, a grain palace, and several grand hotels,
including the Park Place Hotel and the Wisconsin House.
Because the James River Valley was so crucial to our area's history - and
because many of our Daughters of the American Revolution members come not only from Aberdeen, but many neighboring communities, we
chose this name for our chapter.